Wednesday, April 11, 2007

On the needles...

I stopped by Cultured Purl today after a few days away - I always get that peaceful sense of coming home when I walk in and smell one of Shirani's candles burning and find a few knitting friends camped out in the sunroom.

Today was such a day: Linda was there seaming a baby sweater; Rita was making excellent progress on the gusset on her second pair of socks (I'm thrilled to say she's seen the sock light!!); Peggy was on her way out as I walked in, but it was nice to get a hug and hear about the new intarsia bag she's about to start; and of course Sue and Shirani were knitting and Leo was quite in the thick of things - the basket full of blanket swatches to be exact...

We got to talking about how many projects we have going - something I often find difficult to face because all that yarn on needles in various (read many many many) knitting bags around my house - well it can get a little overwhelming. I try to scatter the bags throughout all the different rooms of the house, thinking that if I don't see one great pile then it can't really be that bad. I do, however, have to admit the situation in our new laundry room is getting a little out of hand. I'm thinking if I tried to describe it, you just wouldn't believe me,


so,,,,,






I'm just going to show you....






a little scary...



and,




a little frightening because





my mother reads this blog...





and what makes it really really scary is that this is just what's in the laundry room (it's the new laundry room with lots and lots of space.) My husband, who does the laundry (god-love-him) has started giving me a lot of looks...

but in my defense, the stuff in here mostly has to do with works in progress for classes I am teaching!

But as to the rest of the house... want to hear? it might make you feel a little better about the couple of projects you've had hanging out on needles for a while...

okay.

2 socks - the second of Audrey's pair of ankle socks; my own in Jitterbug, ohmygod I almost forgot about the few rows I've started on that second yellow sock I began before Christmas - that's 3 then.

the lace shawl for class (About 2/3rds complete)

George's mitered baby blanket (as well as the one I started for myself in Noro...)

that really cool car coat from I think Interweave Knitting in about 40 balls of baby alpaca --the real problem here is that I've used some of the balls for another project. Rita, I am just NEVER GOING TO FINISH THIS!!!!

The red Lucy bag AND the blue Lucy bag...which is sad really because I have about 20 minutes of work left on the red one but I keep thinking I'll need it to demonstrate in class - so is it really fair to count this??

the rest of the works in progress really are for classes so I'm not going to include them here...

I just feel like I'm missing something big here...but that's what I have ON THE NEEDLES

As to the rest of it - well I'm feeling some pressure from the humongous bag of Debbie Bliss (hidden in the closet) earmarked for that ribbed sweater I want to make for myself. And there is this beautiful bag of Collinette that is at the back of my linen closet waiting for me to whip out an afghan - you knit-a-long ladies know what I'm talking about...I had to hide it behind the extra pillows because the guilt of it all was eating away at me, particularly over the last 2 years...

I have also about 10 skeins of sock yarn I keep looking at wanting to work on (this sock thing is like a disease...)

so there it is...I wish I could say writing about it has eased the stress of it all, but I'm feeling more than ever like I need to sit down and finish a miter before I fix dinner...

Yours in WAY TOO MUCH yarn,
Claire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for airing your projects out for us to read. It makes me feel better to know there is another yarn stasher out there...I will have to share my yarn stash photos another day! ~Shirani :)

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better... I have fabric stashes for quilting (Like about 12 things in progress), an overabundance of beads, and now seem to be getting the yarn disease as well!! I have ideas for the yarn, just not too too much of the actual yarn yet. That'll come later! HA