Monday, March 02, 2009

The Sock Thingy...


Thanks Stacy, for your comment and question about the needle holder for socks. I get that question a lot. It's a little wooden gadget, designed for sock-sized double pointed needles. They're handmade right here in PA especially for Cultured Purl and they come sized for both 5 inch and 6 inch needles. One end pops off and you slip the needles inside, cap the end again so the needles won't fall out and then the work (socks or mittens or whatever other little thing you might have going) hangs out the slit along the side. I actually wrap the sock around the needle holder and it makes a tidy little package that I can tuck in my pocket or purse without having to worry about the stitches slipping off or the needles breaking in half.

I'm glad you like the shawls. I LOVE lace!!!!! It's funny that I haven't met you yet but see your husband all the time! Despite seeing WAY too much of him lately, I do adore my car and wouldn't think of driving anything but a Volvo: sooooooo good in snow. Champion takes very good care of its customers, so for anyone in the market for a car, I highly recommend them.

I haven't had much time for knitting these last few weeks, although I've just started a couple of Fair Isle Hats w/ear flaps classes: and we're having a lot of fun! Instead of getting any personal knitting done, I've been busy paining set pieces for the Walnut Creek Middle School production of Seussical the Musical, which opens this weekend. Here are a couple of the 16 feet x 6 feet book covers I've done which will act as wings on the sides of the stage.



There are 4 in total, so I'm heading back over to school right now to get a few more hours in!

Don't be afraid of tackling socks - next to lace, they're my favorite thing to knit. Laura, the sock teacher at Cultured Purl, is wonderful. Think about signing up for one of her classes and you'll be addicted before you know it!

Yours in knitting,
Claire

5 comments:

Shirani said...

We can't wait to see the play on Saturday!!

Stacy said...

Thanks, Claire! I have a lot to learn... I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a sock-sized double pointed knitting needle! That sure would make it easier to knit socks instead of using the 7-inch double pointed needles!

Anonymous said...

Claire,
I would love to take the kids to the play- where can I get more info? time and dates?? tickets??

Thanks,
Amy

Oh- totally addicted to socks!!!

ClaireKnits said...

Hi Amy,

The shows are this weekend; Friday at7:00 and Saturday at 3:00 and 7:00. Tickets are available at the door and are $5 each

Last year the Friday show sold out and the Saturday afternoon was the least attended. I'm sure the children will enjoy it, they'll recognize all the characters!

Anonymous said...

Claire,

The set was AMAZING, you did a fantastic job. Your daughter was an amazing Cat in the Hat, the whole cast was great. The kids loved it! I am so glad that I read this blog and found out about the play. It was such a fun family night for us!! Lilly had one outburst when the moon and stars where shown, but it wasn't too disruptive. She loves the MOON!! Olivia loved Horton!! Matthew took it all in and love the lights!

Thank you for the info and we had a great time.
Amy