Saturday, February 21, 2009

Meet Oliver & Ruby

These teeny tiny Ragamuffin kittens are only 27 days old, but they'll be coming to join our family on May 1st. Since we lost beloved Bailey this past summer, I've been pining for something cuddly...

There's something cozy about kittens and yarn, and it got me thinking in general about pets and knitting. I'm wondering what funny stories readers have about pets getting themselves in the way of knitting projects.

The one that comes to mind for me happened about 8 years ago when Bailey was still a puppy...

Bailey was a major chewer,and it drove my husband and kids crazy,because she'd chew anything within reach which was usually my husband's gloves or one of the kids' toys. I was always sticking up for Bailey, pushing her positives, defending her chewing habit as being the most natural and innocent of puppy traits. Until she got a hold of the RED SWEATER...

I had, years before, found the most gorgeous red silky wool at a store in England...I'd carefully brought it home, tucked safely in my carry-on, lovingly watched over it for a long, long, long time - waiting for the perfect project to knit it into something wonderful. Finally I found just the project: a complex lace, dropped sleeve sweater... The front and back and one sleeve were done and the pieces felt like butter against my skin...The second sleeve was on the needles when the unthinkable happened...I'd left my knitting on top of my open knitting bag after working late into the night. In the morning, I discovered, to my horror, that Bailey had slept on the project and at some point during the wee morning hours it must have caught in her puppy nails, where it had snagged and become a really really fun chew-toy.. The work was shredded...as were the three extra skeins tucked in the bottom of the bag, Bailey had left no skein intact. It was hopeless. And yet...as my vet friend pointed out,she had slept there because my scent was on the sweater and she loved me best....How can you argue with that?

And so, 8 years later, I'm bringing two kitties into the house: Eight paws with nails itching to catch my knitting...but look at those little faces! I'll let you know how it goes...

Yours in yarn,
Claire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH Butler family,

Those little babies are so cute. Great names too!! Enjoy those little cuddle bugs. Maybe they wont' love yarn....

Best wishes,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Claire:
The kitty's are soooo cute! If they are ANYTHING like our Dottie, they will find your stash anywhere and everywhere and drag your yarn through the whole house. How can you get upset though? They are so cute! There is hope, tho, our Tigger has absolutely NO interest in my stash . . . Miss everyone--school's over half-way over :)
Robin