Monday, October 27, 2008

Toe-Up Socks and "Nice" Feet


Archy feet are lovely on Pointe, but a pain in the butt when it comes to getting a good fit in a toe-up sock. The short row heel doesn't seem to be as elastic as the flap construction of a top-down sock which makes slipping the sock over the ankle and heel difficult for those of us with high arches. After trolling around online yesterday, I decided to add a gusset to my daughter's ankle sock.



When the foot was about an inch shorter than where I wanted to begin the heel, I began increasing one stitch at each side of the instep. I alternated the increase round with a plain knit round, and added 6 stitches to each side, taking my total stitch count from 56 to 68 - allowing a little ease at the widest part of my daughter's lovely ballerina feet. Once the heel was complete, I quickly narrowed the ankle area, by decreasing every round 6 times to remove the extra 12 stitches. The decreasing can be done more quickly because the anatomy of the ankle narrows at a faster rate than along the curve of the arch.

I'll have her try the sock on tonight, but it fits me just fine and while my arches aren't as 'nice' as hers, she did inherit hers from me, so I'm optimistic that the fit will be tailored right to her!

On to the other one,
yours in Opal sock yarn,
Claire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire,

Your daughters feet are very beautiful and I hope that the sock is a perfect fit. You are a great inspiration and problem solver!! Love the blog and your way of explaining.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Claire:
I can't believe you got a sock done in one day! It looks great, but I'm still not ready to try the toe-up! Miss seeing you and all my CP friends! That "work thing" kinda gets in the way . . .
Robin