Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Knitting for Charity

Thanks KnittyGirl, for asking about charitable knitting. What a great idea for those of us with the time and means to make something beautiful and useful for those less fortunate than ourselves! Here are a few of my favorite charities:

Afghans for Afghans is a grassroots, humanitarian, people-to-people project that sends hand knit (and crocheted) blankets, sweaters, socks, and other necessaries to the beleagered people of Afghanistan.

Binky Patrol provides blanket and quilts to sick, abused, or needy children across the country.

Chemo Caps is an effort begun by the mother of Heather Spol, who passed away in 2000 at the young age of 25, to provide comfort and warmth to cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.The website has patterns and information on finding local branches.

Operation Homefront has patterns and information about knitting wool helmet liners for our troops stationed overseas.

On a local level, there is of course the ongoing blanket project at Cultured Purl, knitting premmie hats for area hospitals, and I believe children's mittens are always welcome at the Neighborhood Art House.

Also, there are dozens of other projects online which can be found by doing a Google search of "Knitting Charities". And readers, if you have a particular favorite, please let me know and I'll add it to this list.

Yours in knitting,
Claire

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Which of these do you regularly knit for? Is there a group that meets at CP? That's the information I was curious about.

cjknits said...

Knittygirl, I was wondering for which charity groups you regularly knit? Also, are you asking if there is a group that meets at the Cultured Purl because you'd like to join it or were you thinking about starting one? Because I think the latter would be better addressed to Shirani and Sue than Claire, after all, it is their shop. As an aside, my view of charitable activity is that it is a highly personal decision, I choose not to knit for charity, not because I do not feel the causes Claire listed worthy but because my knitting time and speed make a charitable knitting project frustrating at best. I, also, feel the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, I'm sure you've seen her blog/books stated it best when she said and I paraphrase I am much more able to give money than knit goods because I just don't knit fast enough for it to be more beneficial to a charity than a cash donation. In fact, Stephanie has a link set up on her blog for Dr's w/out Borders and has raised in excess of $350,000.00. I'm not sure how much is her own money but the time and effort she took to set this up amazes me. Therefore, the other question I would put to you is, are you asking Claire about her charity knitting as some kind of dig or as an honest inquiry as to the choices she makes, ie hats over blankets because she gets them done faster? Or where you going into the highly personal area of overall what charities do you support? Which in the context of a blog comment from basically an anonymous source has the distinct air of antagonism surrounding it. Which, of course, begs the question what on earth did Claire do to piss you off? If, however, I am doing you a complete disservice here please feel free to leave your name and number at the Cultured Purl and I will extend an apology because as we all know so well, one's "voice" can be completely misunderstood in the written context of the internet. Good Evening, Chris Jones

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that my comment upset you so bad. I was asking if there were groups at CP in case there was a time I could join. Daytime Tues and Thurs are available to me. I will stop and ask. I'm new to the area and found this blog "on accident". I really got off to a bad start. I hope you understand that I will not be signing my name, as I'm sure I will be judged if we ever meet. Knitting should be peaceful. I never meant to offend. You dont have to reply, but please forgive me. Oh, and I don't know Claire. She has never done anythign to make me mad. So sorry. Knittygirl

cjknits said...

Knittygirl, I should be apologizing to you, as I said earlier our "voice" can and often does come across very differently typed, whether in comments like this or in everyday email. I try very hard to remember this when I read anything, including or should I say specifically the stuff I write, I tend to be a very direct person and a comment I might make in person, that would be softened either by tone or expression or the context of a conversation can and does come across in my written "voice" as occasionally confrontational and well... b****y. I appreciate your desire to be anonymous and I hope I haven't caused you to judge me to harshly. Chris

Anonymous said...

All is OK here. Knittygirl

Anonymous said...

Knittygirl, welcome to Erie. I've only been knitting for a year, but I wouldn't go anywhere but the Purl. Shirani and Sue and the gang are great and open to new ideas. They also would know of some groups in town that do charitable projects if that's what you're into. We do one at our church during Lent only -- and that's enough for me. I'm not a fast or good knitter -- and I believe in using your gifts where appropriate. Hope to see you at CP!
-- Alias Kate