Monday, December 01, 2008

Another toe-up sock completed!

My younger daughter is getting a pair of socks for Christmas, and here they are - my second pair of toe-ups done in the gorgeous but sadly discontinued Trekking 100. For this pair I used the new square needles Shirani and Sue just gone in. They're nicely fast, being metal, and the point is a joy for getting through the tiny wraps at the short row heel, but I have to say my tension is not as even as it is with wood, and I found the shortness of the needles caused a bit of cramping in my hands. But, they are definitely worth a try, if for no other reason than to throw a little novelty into your knitting! They come in sets of 5, which is nice for the toe-up technique, and I believe Shirani has them in 0,1,2,& 3s.

My younger daughter is also a dancer, and although her arch is not quite as high as her sister's, it's high enough to warrant the addition of two 6 stitch gussets at the turn of the heel. (See the detail of the gusset in the photo below.) Also, her point shoes have a wider box to accommodate the width of her toes (making pointe a lot less painful!) so to account for her specific foot shape, I made a much wider toe by beginning the cast-on with 24 stitches.


These small changes to the basic toe-up pattern, made better fitted socks for both girls (although they won't know it till Christmas morning!) For my son's pair, and that's number 11 if you're keeping count, I'm going back to my old friend the top-down sock. I'll let you know how it goes,

yours in yarn,
Claire

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Claire,

Congrats on finishing #11, can't wait to see the last pair!! Another beautiful set of feet!!

have a wonderful holiday and our family wishes your family many memory making moments!!

We just finished our first Gingerbread house, our kids had a BLAST and we did too.

Best wishes,
Amy

Also best wishes to Shirani and her family too!!