Sunday, May 25, 2008

I need to vent...


I've been RIPPING my house apart today, and it wasn't about Spring Cleaning. It was about not being able to find the Altoids tin box containing about a bajillion pretty glass bead place markers that I've spent years accumulating.... yes, while others in my family spent the day outside frolicking in the sunshine, I was NOT getting a lot of knitting done. NOT as in NONE. I have this sort of sick feeling because I kind of, sort of, maybe remember tossing an old almost empty box of Altoids away a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out a bag - but wouldn't it have occurred to me to check inside???? I'm going to choose to believe that memory is more imagination caused by panic and worry than fact, and that one of these days I WILL come across that box.

What I did manage to find in my hunt was an embarrassing number of project on needles. (I was just saying to Rita at the shop yesterday that I can never find the right needle size when starting a new project.) Well it's pretty much because they're all holding projects I just don't want to work on anymore. For a variety of reasons: can't handle the wool on hot days; can't remember where I am in the pattern and don't want to think about it right now; can't imagine what ever possessed me to want to do the project in the first place...reasons like that.

So for those of you out there feeling bad about those unfinished projects you just can't seem to finish, don't feel bad. I've got more. Waaaaayyyyyyyyyy more. There are the 2 Lucy bags, at least 4 socks (mostly all still in the bloody ribbing part), that cute little Ella Rae bag Rita did in turquoise, the sideways sweater that I just know Shirani is working on right now and I might as well forget ever catching up to her, a triangle lace shawl, a peasant shawl, a tank top in silk, my lizard ridge afghan, George's mitered square blanket that is never-going-to-happen-so-I-should-just-recycle-the-yarn, that really funky cotton noro sleeveless cardigan, a floral intarsia bag I started for a class 2 years ago, a noro ribbed scarf that can justifiably wait till fall. I feel like there's something big I'm overlooking but this will at least give you a sense of just how deep of a hole I'm in.

And having said all that, I did come across a small supply of those little plastic markers which will do in a pinch because I've just cast on for another lace design!!!

Yours in way too much yarn-on-the-needles,
Claire

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, you crack me up. I'm looking at 3 sock projects, a sweater for my grandson, a lace shawl, 2 knit but not sewn summer tops, 3 sweaters that need to be sewn up, and more yarn than I can complete in several years!!! I can't stand to open my yarn stash because I have an anxiety attack figuring out what possessed me to buy some of this stuff. I have a bunch of stuff for weaving; okay I have to stop before I need therapy.

Elizabeth said...

It can only get better!

Anonymous said...

In a pinch, the really small rubber bands for little girls' hair work very nicely as stitch markers. Though I understand your panic at misplacing a tin full of knitting notions. It will turn up. All you Catholics out there, please feel free to join in: "Dear St. Anthony come around; something's lost that must be found." Hope they turn up soon.

Linda Weber

Anonymous said...

OH Claire,

I really hope that your little box will show and make your day less frantic.

I send wishes for the finding of your treasures....

Ready for more two stranded knitting,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Not to worry claire...I only did 2 inches of ribbing on our sweater!! We are going to have to have a few "finish your projects" knitalongs this summer!!
~Shirani