Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Worst Thing About Socks...

For me at least, the worst thing about socks isn't that after all the work of knitting one you've still got another one to do. It's the thought of all that bloody ribbing.

I decided on a whim two days ago, to knit someone a pair of socks by next Saturday. Yup, 30,000 stitches in 10 days. I knit EVERYWHERE!!
In PTA meetings, in the car waiting for the kids dance classes to end, sitting in the exam chair at the eye doctors, begging to not have my eyes dialated because I'll lose an hour of knitting time... I even had the sock in the car yesterday morning when I drove the girls to school- prompting my daughter to roll her eyes and wonder aloud what I possibly thought I'd get done on it in the 5 minutes it takes to get there and back. But, it was a snowy, icy mess outside and I knew if I ended up in a ditch I'd be really really calm because I could get another inch out of the way while I waited for a tow truck!

However....the wrist strain is starting to kick in. 11,000 stitches of 2x2 ribbing. The Only Time I Regret Being a THROWER and NOT the time to convert to picking.

I had originally thought to start the ribbing on both socks so when I finished the first I wouldn't be so overwhelmed confronting that other 8 inches of cuff. BUT, my wrist pain makes it so going.

So at this point, I've got about 2 inches of that second cuff and I'm focusing instead on the pleasant ease and monotony of the stockinette foot, enjoying the BEST part of knitting socks- thinking with much love and affection of the person they're intended for!

Wish me speed,
Yours in knitting,
Claire

No comments: