Monday, May 28, 2007

The Ankle Socks are finally finished!!!!!


These socks have been in progress for so long that I can't for the life of me remember what the yarn is. Shirani might remember... it's a very nice, muted stripey thing in various shades of red and green and my daughter loved the yarn so much that what was originally intended to be a pair of socks for me became, almost as soon as I had cast on, a pair of (blessedly) quick ankle socks for her. I hate those never ended ribbed legs! (I realize as I write this that the quickie ankle socks concept seems to be in direct contradiction to my opening sentence...however the actual knitting time was really quite brief!)

They would have been done yesterday, but I ended up having an epiphany that downloading this way-cool palm project management software would be a great way for me to better organize and stay on top of all my knitting projects. It of course took 2 hours to install on my Treo and another 4 hours to load all my knitting projects into it. And it did cross my mind that, compared to the 30 minutes of knitting I actually had left on the ankle socks, this way-cool have to do right away software tangent was maybe a bit ridiculous. But it is WAY-WAY-WAY-COOL how, with only the touch of a button, I can get a neat list of all my projects On The Needle, vs say another view of What I Must Get Down For My Classes ASAP. (I'm thinking I may have lost most of my readers' enthusiasm at this point, and maybe only fellow palm-lover Chris J is still with me here... so back to the sock....)

It's got a star toe. Thank you Nancy Bush for that great book on vintage socks!! And for those of you with teenage daughters, ankle socks seem to be the only knitted garb they'll wear these days...which makes only having to do an inch of ribbing all the nicer.

I can't however bask in the glow of a freshly completed knitting project because there's SO MUCH FREAKIN SOCK YARN IN MY STASH SCREAMING my name that I can't think straight. I have to cast on either the Lorna's Lace, the Jitterbug, or the Cherry Tree Hill...so I'm off to find my new Lantern Moon Sox Stix...

Happy Memorial Day,

ps (Did you know the original date of Memorial Day, May 30th, was chosen because it was the only spring day on which a civil war battle had not been fought?)

Yours in knitting,
Claire

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do not use "freakin" as an adjective. Everyone knows the substitute word. Certainly your vocabulary is larger than this.

Anonymous said...

Oh please! Let her speak her mind on her own blog you anonymous person up there!! I find the variety of topics on and off Knitting to be delightful and look forward to reading each new entry on this blog! The use of "freakin" made me laugh with surpise and think this gal has a funny bone! Wouldn't you have been most offended if she had used the actual word? Come on now? No sense of humor up there???? Crack a smile!!! Life is too short to be so serious!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, third opinion here. I'd agree with the second one if this were a personal blog. We are all way too casual in the way we "swear", but if that's what an individual wants to do, go ahead. However, the blog "belongs" to a yarn shop, not to Claire. In that case, I agree with the first opinion and think she should use care in what she says. Perhaps the owners are OK with it, though.

cjknits said...

Well, Claire, I was thrilled to receive an honorable mention in your blog. In my not at all humble opinion, anonymous comments should be taken w/less than a grain of salt. If you don't have the courage (could've used a few other choice words here, since I used courage and not one of those other words does it still count as an off color remark?) to identify your opinion than you lack the courage of your convictions and should keep your opinion to yourselves. Just my two cents. Chris J

ClaireKnits said...

Sorry to those I've offended. Don't let my ramblings be a negative reflection on a wonderful yarn shop.

-Claire

Anonymous said...

Wow, look at all the comments!!
It is not our intention to offend. Personally, I love Claire’s "ramblings" and I have not found anything offensive in any of our blogs posts.
Glad to know that people are reading though! ;)
Keep commenting.
Happy knitting, we are off to get goodies at the Yarn Show. ~Shirani

Twinkerbell said...

Lovin the socks! It looks a bit like the same color in Trekking XXL that I used on my very first socks. I love all the pretty pictures you have here. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the socks! Will you have the pattern available so that I may knit them for my own daughters?
~Robin D.